30 July 2006

The Prophet Mohammed on the reward for kindness

Particularly since 7/7, I have been anxious not to behave in such way as to suggest to Muslims that I regarded them as potential suicide bombers. Hassan's plea, recently, for a minute of freedom resonated with me as that was something I have consciously, in spite of a certain "British" reserve, been trying to accord to my fellow passengers on London's public transport. Even though I sometimes wryly reflect that the very ones who are most obviously Muslim, are probably rejecting me, my nod, my greeting, my sitting next to them - because of my short sleeves and uncovered head!

One Sunday, a couple of months ago, I passed, and then turned back to stop at, a table in our town centre's pedestrian mall which is manned by Muslims from the local mosque. After a cautious sort of conversation, I took away with me a book they proffered A brief illustrated guide to understanding Islam. I was looking at it again today, and I have found the Prophet Mohammed's response to the question: "Messenger of God, are we rewarded for kindness towards animals?"

He said, "There is a reward for kindness to every living animal or human".

(The references cited for this were: Saheeh Muslim #2244 and also Saheeh Al-Bukhari #2466)

On the Jill Carroll front, I had the disappointing response from the Monitor that my question (During her capitivity, did she experience any kindness from her captors?) was not one of the questions selected for her to answer.

Don't know that I'm giving up completely on that one yet. Suggestions welcomed.

1 comment:

Em said...

Thank you Rasou for this comment. I'm sorry, I didn't notice it earlier. You are a wise one and very generous in giving such full and considered advice. Some of it I knew - it's for the sake of the Muslims I know as friends or colleagues that I'm trying to reduce the occasions that others feel isolated within a Western society.

Most of the conversations I initiate with Muslim women are well received - even welcomed. On the rare occasions that there's any hesitation from their side, I don't push it and 'back off' in a relaxed way. I also have to say that, for a host of reasons, I draw the line at initiating conversation with someone wearing the full, gulf-style niqab.

I hadn't considered the position of men but hope my friendliness is not misinterpreted.

As you may have been able to tell, I am getting increasingly disillusioned about the prospects for peace on the planet, so this blog has pretty much been put aside since last summer. In fact, I've been looking on the blog as a rather naive exercise. The last time I felt this way, a poster nudged me back to life but I think it's going to take some grand and generous gesture from genuine statesmen to tilt that balance.