09 June 2006

An Audience in Beirut

I've remembered an article, written by Robert Fisk, that I read some time ago. It appeared in The Independent, but unfortunately you have to pay to read most, if not all, of Fisk's articles in their archive. This charging to view really does bother me, not least because it goes against the original idea of the Internet as being freely accessible to all. I've managed to find a different link to the article, which I've added to the links under Breaking the Mould - it's to the right of this page.

Fisk was encouraged by the response of "a Muslim audience in Beirut ... most of them in their 20s" to the moment in Kingdom of Heaven when Saladin sent his own doctors to a Christian king.

He wrote, "At this, there came from the Muslim audience a round of spontaneous applause. They admired this act of mercy from their warrior hero; they wanted to see his kindness to a Christian".

Yes, the event they applauded happened centuries ago, but the Lebanon is a nation recently ravaged by war and a country where still today brave men and women are being targeted by assassins.

I salute that audience. This generation inspires hope.

1 comment:

Alicia M B Ballard StudioGaleria said...

Hello
I was "blog hopping" when I came about your last entry.
It appears we are both rather preoccupied with war and its consequences.
Creating awareness opens doors to change. Albeit at turtle's pace…

All the best
-.a.-

PS: me @ MischiefMusings