19 May 2006

Day after day after day

Day 1 having involved the somewhat impulsive setting up of this weblog, Day 2 started with some serious stalling tactics like trying to make sense of the sidebar's HTML code, followed by searching for a good example of a magnanimous enemy from the 1945 compilation.

Suddenly somehow, the language of the anthology seemed so foreign and stilted that I began to feel myself at such a distance from it, that I began to ask myself: Have I, in my naivete, simply failed to recognise that, like the changes in the way we speak and write, we are all utterly changed since 1945. Am I not in pursuit of something that no longer exists?

I woke to "Nineteen dead in Baghdad" and, heavy-hearted. typed
www.baghdad.com instead of www.blogger.com I use Google Earth to look at Baghdad even though I realise that this is just making me even more moved by the plight of those who will walk along those roads today. Right now they may be brushing their teeth, reaching for labneh - only to be slaughtered before noon, while queueing for work.

I also remembered reading, I think in one of the colour supplements, the mention by a Palestinian of a single occasion on which his family had been 'shielded' by an Israeli soldier amongst a search party . I spent part of this morning trying to find some reference to the report online, but without success. I need to enlist help here - collaborators!

No comments: